Tuesday 25 January 2011

Drosera: the story of creation


In August 2009 I visited Kew Gardens in London, and I was fascinated by Sundew plants. They lure, capture, and digest insects using stalked mucilaginous glands covering their leaf’s surface. The insects are used to supplement the poor mineral nutrition that sundews are able to obtain from the soil in which they grow.


I find this plant full of dark sexuality...seduce the object with the honey drops and then digest it...It reminds me of a girl’s behaviour when she seduces a man with her sweetness but her purpose is to get money to support herself.

In reality drosera has transparent liquid drops, but I changed them to crimson to give a more dramatic look and provide the audience with the sexy lolly pop symbolism.

After the concept was clear I began looking for a proper photograph, but unfortunately could not find any. Making virtual 3D modelling could take weeks, if you are not professional. I did my model from... pins and cherry jam J




After adding a little bit of Photoshop, a perfect image to paint from was in my hands.

I reused the canvas with my, not very successful, original poppy painting for the Drosera. On my opinion it adds some charm to a painting when there is something underneath that you can see only little shadow off.



More paintings by Diana Davydova on www.dianadavydova.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment