Monday 31 January 2011

Paintings of the Mountain Ash: a little excursus into Russian folklore tree symbolism



Last week I completed 2 paintings picturing autumn Mountain Ash.

I was walking around Oxford in search of a pretty autumn scene, and found the beautiful Mountain Ash tree and I was fascinated with the play of light and shadow between the carved leaves. I was lucky to take these lovely photographs, as I have found it very difficult to get a proper subject, time and a sunny day all together.

Mountain Ash, oil on canvas, 40x60 cm by Diana Davydova

Ash Berries, oil on canvas, 40x40cm by Diana Davydova

 I did not have any special thoughts in my mind – I just knew that this tree has been used widely in Russian art, so I decided to do a little bit of research on this subject and found some very interesting information.
I do not see lots of Mountain ash trees in the UK, they seem to be unpopular, but in Russia it is almost a national tree. 
In folklore art and poetry you can find lots of references to Mountain Ash, which has always been a symbol of femininity or women fate. Probably the structure of the tree, being very slim with the fine twigs, bending down under the weight of berries gives associations with the unfortunate life, broken promises of love and the bitter sorrow like the taste of berries. The sincere orphanhood and eternal loneliness so often the destiny of Russian women, who despite the struggle, retain a cheerful and bright character.

More paintings by this artist www.dianadavydova.co.uk

1 comment:

  1. hi Diana..
    I really love your distinct style in portraying your subject matters especially flowers and plants.. They're all so lovely and pleasing to the eyes.
    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete